Friday, June 30, 2017

The Sedum (and Ice Plant) Madness Grows More Colorful!

When I first posted photos of the succulents, the buds were just starting to open. Now that most of them are in full bloom, I find they are much more photogenic. Just for fun, I thought I'd make another post showing the same plants as before, and in the same order so you can compare these photos with the ones from last time.

Now that I've posted my Big Article, High-Powered Tools of Inner Exploration and Neuroscience, and more, I feel the need to demonstrate how the Sedum Madness has been progressing. Previously, there were only nine species of Sedum, four of ice plants, and one Sempervivum (hen-and-chicks).
` Now I have 21 types of Sedum, nine types of ice plants, two Sempervivum and one Escheveria. And I'm finally good at 26 stepping stones. There is still also fuzzy lamb's ear, but I have brutally killed all other non-crass(ulacid) plants for not meeting my standards of attractiveness.
` I've have not been spending much time gardening this month, but it's already too late -- they're taking over the entire front retaining wall! For example, the first ice plant to bloom was this red one. Let's see how it looked when I got back from our little road trip to Montana:

Some of the flowers were already dead, with new ones on the way.
The original photo of this was looking up the side of the slope, but I had to take this photo from above because a canopy of sedum flowers were completely obscuring them from the sidewalk.
` So, as a bonus "extra photo", I took another from the same angle as the original photo, except it is of a sedum off to the right of the ice plant. The same species is prominent in both the original first and second photos, so it seems fitting to include it, especially during the time it was flowering:

Sedum acre has only one or two flowers erupting from each tip.
Last time, I mentioned that there were too many yellow sedums in this corner, and that I would remedy the situation. From this angle, you can't see all the darker sedum cuttings I've been putting up there, but it's apparent that the plants themselves have become less yellow and more orange/green.
` I took this photo using the very last of this evening's light, illuminating the flowers in the foreground but not the background. Among these are various sedums, purple ice plant, and lamb's ear, not to mention the Sempervivum (dark, water lily-shaped plant) to the left of the yellow sedum flowers:

It's as though they're mutating by the second!
As for myself, I've been working harder on getting enough sleep and catching up with all the stuff I haven't been doing during those months I was sick. This means I'm still writing and making videos, but it's going fairly slowly. The heat is a bit much for me sometimes.
` But hey, I'm healthy and otherwise feeling the best I have in decades. Even the overlords of my endocrine system have not been giving my brain too much grief. It seems the only thing slowing me down is an overload of things to do! Sort of like the way this garden runneth over.

Compared to last time, most of the plants are flowering, so you can see what I mean by the red ice plant being obscured by a thick canopy!

The sedums and red/purple ice plants from the previous photos are in the top center/right.
Speaking of too many things to do, I have been somewhat unexpectedly clothes shopping lately. It was about time I did so anyway (since my clothing supply has been dropping lately), but then one of my few pairs of short pants completely split down the back. (Thankfully, I was getting into the car before leaving the house...) They're nylon 'wind pants', which require patching to fix, and I doubted such a tremendous tear would be worth the effort.
Sedum rupestre, blooming in clusters.
` The trekking poles that Matt bought me (mentioned last time) really came in handy at the store, to the point where it was like whole new experience: I was able to actually keep my balance and not feel fatigued as I searched carefully for new garments, and found a few.
` The curious thing is, the pants that fit me ranged in size from 0 to 7, yet are similar actual sizes. I have no idea what this means. Matt paid for those as well, which I really appreciate.
` I doubt it has anything to do with being worried what the neighbors would think if I was out gardening pantsless.

It's actually difficult to find pants that fit me because if the waistband is much higher than my pelvis, that results in pain. My internal organs are no longer being squished by my own body, it just really hurts to have anything pressing on my abdomen, so I avoid that at all costs. (That includes really heavy shirt buttons.)
` My torso is even more torso-shaped than before, and my neck is really getting to be neck-shaped as well. When I breathe I actually feel air moving on the left side of my windpipe, and I can actually tilt my head forward and not choke. It's like there's supposed to be open space there or something!
` Not only that, but my eyes are adjusting well to my head being tilted to the right. It seems to be helping them to point in the same direction. I also find it relaxing being able to breathe better in general, and to have enough room for my lungs.

It's the little things in life. And I'm not talking about tiny pollinating insects....

The white sedum is now blooming, and is not alien and upside-down this time!
This next photo should show a very large contrast with the one from last time, and not just because the plants are blooming: It shows a wider view, farther to the right, with additional new plants. The stepping stone on the left is the one from before. The pink and green sedum just to its right has not only survived transplantation but is blooming and has a few new neighbors.
` In the original photo, there are no blossoms on the ice plants, but in this one, the orange-flowered ones are declining in flower production, while the purple are in full-force. Also beginning to bud, and shoot upwards emphatically, are the lamb's ear (large patch on left).
` As for the artichoke-looking Sempervivum in the ice plant (just past the stepping stone), I've transplanted a few pieces, and the rest is mostly hidden under the metallic purple disks. To the right, many of the white and yellow sedum flowers are in full force, with pink coming along.

It's only a matter of time until even the stepping stones are covered...
No doubt I would have gotten this post done earlier today if I hadn't gone clothes shopping again. This time I went to a thrift store and got even more clothing than last time, and for less money! I must have been there for hours, trying on probably 80 different things.
` It seemed that most of these were sleeveless tops, which are notoriously stretched out in the chest area from previous use. They only comprised two of the eight items I selected. Now you see why I might be there for a while? The payoff -- now I have enough clothing to get me through another couple of years!
` In the same way, all that gardening earlier this year is paying off by filling in the landscape with new growth that isn't weeds or grass. In fact, there are even sedums growing in the cracks between the sidewalk, the moss on the front steps, and in the yard!

Giant-leaved sedum, now budding, with purple and sun spinner ice plants.
Amazingly, I didn't go insane from the continuous screeching of clothes hangers on racks and the music that was also grating, even though I forgot my ear plugs. It's interesting to recount that annoying sounds used to feel tremendously painful as waves of tension surged through my muscles. It's like when sounds feel unbearably painful to someone with a migraine, except in my back, legs, abdomen, etc.
` These days, the musculoskeletal problems are minimal, as is the tension, and I am no longer much afflicted by this. I found that just focusing on finding clothing, and not thinking of much else, helped the sounds around me seem even less piercing. It was challenging, but not nerve-wracking.

It reminds me how lucky I am to have such a peaceful garden, rarely disturbed by noise.

This broadleaf sedum is not only flowering, but it finally changed color a little, too!
Currently, I am in a strange position, as in balanced in front of the laptop Matt is lending me. It's tough to get myself upright, but I have to keep reminding myself that it's possible to find a position that's actually worth staying in. Sometimes it just takes a while to find one.
` I have no idea what it would be like if I were able to just raise my head that much more when I'm typing, but I think it would be glorious on my neck. I miss having my own computer, which can access my data. I miss how big it was, and how much better it would feel if I could just raise my head that much more. It has been 14 months already.
` Nevertheless, I am planning to find a way to access the podcast Skeptophany, for which this blog is named, edit it and put it online. There are different ways to solve this problem, some more desirable than others, and I don't know which one to pursue again first.

This photo is less colorful than the original because the sedums have all become more green!
If there's anything I'm into growing more than sedums, it's my own muscles, nerves, and other essential parts that need repairs. If the garden is any indication, you can guess how much I obsess over fixing mechanical and other difficulties in my own biological being.

The strange "larval form" of sedum noted last time is now being overgrown by purple ice plant!
Every day, I think about how great it would feel if my neck were fully neck-like. That is, not weak on the left side. That's improving all the time, which is great because my head feels considerably lighter. The nerve damage around my mouth has even healed to the point where my face is almost facelike. And the rest of my body, it's all getting there:
` A few days ago, I did barbell squats at 115 lbs. The muscles that are most worked are in the right side of my right leg and right side/lower back. The rest of my muscles are not particularly challenged by this. My right foot has been a bit stronger and more coordinated as well lately.
` I no longer feel afraid when moving around because it's not so challenging to keep my balance. The subtle curvature of floors is becoming less of a problem, and less painful on my joints and back. It's amazing to me to think that pretty soon, I won't have to deal with this stuff after decades.

Red sedum with thick canopy of flowers!
What will I do once I no longer am dealing with any physical disability? I can't even imagine. It's hard not to focus on this very near future. I'm already doing dishes with no problem at all, as the dishwasher is currently broken. I used to do them all the time, somehow. Especially other people's. But now, as long as I lean up against the counter with my right hip, I can keep my balance just fine.

I still find it awkward to do piano, but I must make myself do it more now. There are still a couple of books I must read that someone is letting me borrow. And I must continue blogging/videoing. Including the stuff from Montana.
` Alas, I didn't get any photos with this camera (not in focus, anyway), but I got some video of hiking in the mountains and bison and all that. It will be for YouTube.

I will try to get more videos and blog posts up as soon as possible. Perhaps I'd be farther ahead on that if I didn't spend so much time taking photos and video of the garden and then writing blog posts where I talk about what I've been doing instead of getting on with my projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment